For Immediate Release:
Contact: Denise Kolesar, Women’s Expo
Mid-Michigan Women’s Expo Returns to Lansing for 12th Year
Health, Home and Style Will be Focus of Show Slated for Feb. 3-5
Lansing, Michigan, January 11, 2012 – Mid-Michigan Women’s Expo returns to Lansing for its 12th year with a show focused on health, home and style – giving women something to feel good about.
The 2012 Expo, slated this year for Feb. 3-5, features products, services and seminars that aim to provide a weekend of education, entertainment and enjoyment. As the largest single consumer event for women in the region, the Expo will feature more than 250 women-owned and women-focused businesses during the three-day show that will again be held downtown at the Lansing Center.
Once again, Go Red for Women, the national heart disease awareness initiative, will hold its national casting call at Expo on Friday night from 5-8 p.m. Last year, two Women’s Expo attendees made the finals and represented Lansing in the Go Red national media campaign. Kohler Expos plans to promote the event with a video that will capture the fun and be shared on YouTube.
Highlights of this year’s lineup of exhibits include:
- New sponsor Ingham Regional Medical Center will host 20 booths featuring numerous free healthcare screenings, including cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep disorders, diabetes and stroke risk assessments, body mass index, joint pain assessment and others. Physicians and nurses will be on hand to answer attendees' healthcare questions throughout the three-day show. Pregnant women can receive a free 3D/4D ultrasound photo of their baby on-site, as well as a coupon for a discounted full scan at one of the center's locations throughout the Lansing area.
- National television personality Brian Santos, The Wall Wizard, will demonstrate his best tips, tricks and techniques for painting, including how to choose a color, preparation and clean up advice, basic paining instruction and information on faux finishes. A fourth-generation contract painter, Santos has appeared on numerous national television programs as well as more than 5,000 home shows across the country. His book, “Painting Secrets from Brian Santos, The Wall Wizard,” will be available for purchase at Expo.
- Wall Street Journal columnist and best-selling author Jeffrey Zaslow will speak about his just released book, “The Magic Room, A Story About the Love We Wish for Our Daughters.” The non-fiction book weaves together the stories of six women who have come to the well-known Becker’s Bridal in Fowler, Mich. in search of the perfect wedding dress. Each woman enters Becker’s “magic room” – a room that thousands of women have entered during the retail store’s more than 75-year history – and leaves with a dress filled with her hopes and dreams for her future.
- Elizabeth Ann Wertenberger, Miss Michigan, will meet and greet with her signature message “Continue to Dream” with audiences.
- Meijer, Inc. will once again host the Healthy Living Cooking Stage. Dietitian Shari Steinbach will be among the speakers sharing recipes easy meals for healthy families and other cooking tips.
“Women’s Expo is the equivalent of spring break for women – it’s an opportunity to enjoy a fun-filled weekend with friends, focusing on feeling good and living well,” said Denise Kolesar, president of Kohler Expos, which promotes the event each year. “For many women in Mid-Michigan, this is a destination weekend that allows them to connect with friends and family while pampering themselves following with a mid-winter break.
“Once again we are focusing on health, home and style. Our featured national speaker, Jeffrey Zaslow, will share the beautiful and touching story of six women who fell in love. The stories are centered on the treasured Fowler business Becker’s Bridal, which is extremely well known in our region. Additionally, Brian Santos will share tips on how to liven up a room and increase the value of your house with a couple of cans of paint.
“Besides bringing in national speakers, Expo offers women the opportunity to view all these wonderful businesses right here in our region during a special event tailored for the lives of busy women.”
The main sponsor for this year’s Expo is Ingham Regional Medical Center. WLNS NewsCenter 6, WFMK 99.1, NOW 97.5 are media sponsors of the event and “Greater Lansing Woman.” The Healthy Living Cooking Stage will be hosted by Meijer and Williams Kitchen and Bath.
The Expo is slated to run from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 3, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 4, and from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Feb 5. Advance tickets are $6 each and are available at all area Meijer stores. Admission at the door is $8 for adults and $6 for children ages 6-14.
As in previous years, the Expo’s Main Stage will feature live presentations on a variety of topics throughout the weekend while the Cooking Stage will focus on families and healthy eating. In addition to the two national speakers, local and regional experts will present engaging and entertaining presentations and demonstrations on a variety of subjects, including:
· Super easy, super health snacks
· The myths of cholesterol
· Painting secrets and faux finishes
· Women’s health
· Good medicine for a happy heart
· Easy meals for healthy families
· One grocery list, endless recipes from the co-author of The Well-Stocked Kitchen
Other highlights of this year’s Expo include:
- On-site day spa services that allow women to pamper themselves for the day, including haircuts, waxing, massages and other beauty treatments to pamper the busy woman
- Unique on-site shopping, including cosmetics, scarves, jewelry, purses, wallets, accessories, perfume, cooking items, antiques and more
- Vacation planning services and tips, including long weekend packages
- Style pick-me-ups with hair restoration, hair extensions, wigs, glimmer body art and hair jewelry
- Wide range of women’s apparel, including shape wear
- Gourmet food products to sample, including dips, cake, candy, cookies, jams, spices, soups and other items
- Impression Five, which offers hands-on science with interactive activities for children and education toys
- Tips from the SavingsAngel.com on cutting grocery bills in half
- Home builders and remodelers featuring a wide variety of products, including painting, kitchen remodels, glass block, waterproofing, patios, roofing, siding, gutters, replacement windows and doors, and more
- Health and fitness information, demonstrations, products and services, including spinal analysis, chiropractic services, nutritional evaluations, breast health and related issues
- Financial management services, including investment planning, insurance, tax planning, education funding, mortgages and related money management issues
- Plan a party for your daughter featuring princess wear and diva glam
“Expo offers something for everyone,” Kolesar explained. “Whether you are returning for the 12th year or new to the event, you will find an incredible wealth of resources for your health, home and style under a single roof. Many of Expo’s old favorites will be back for another year, and we have also added fresh, new companies that will give women a chance to explore.”
Mid-Michigan Women’s Expo is also committed to giving back to the community by providing opportunities for non-profit organizations focused on heart health, organ donation, education, women and infant health, and international students to get their message out to thousands of attendees.
Attendees can also sign up for a number of give-aways at the door and throughout the Expo. There is convenient covered parking underground and within walking distance. For more information, including a schedule of events and additional information about exhibitors and parking, go to www.kohlerexpo.com or visit us on Facebook at Mid-Michigan Women’s Expo.
About Mid-Michigan Women’s Expo
Celebrating its 12th year, Mid-Michigan Women’s Expo offers a balance of education, entertainment and enjoyment in an event tailored for the lives of busy women. More than 250 women-owned and women-focused businesses will display a wide range of products and services targeted specifically toward women. The Expo also features demonstrations and presentations on topics including healthcare and wellness, finances, business opportunities, beauty, fashion, education, travel, fitness and home remodeling. Key sponsor of the annual three-day event is Ingham Regional Medical Center. Media sponsors are WLNS NewsCenter 6, WFMK 99.1, NOW 97.5 and “Greater Lansing Woman.” Additional information is available at www.kohlerexpo.com.
# # #